Tuesday, June 23, 2015

DC Salutes the Bicentennial Belt Buckle!

DC SALUTES THE BICENTENNIAL
The Buckle
            The point of collecting 25 of the 33 Bicentennial banners (remember?) was to get the free metal Superman Belt Buckle in antique silver finish.
            I found the belt buckle on ebay last spring. It went for about $15.00 and I was the only bidder. Yes, I paid $15.00 for it. $15.00 for a belt buckle? No, it’s not just a belt buckle, I paid $15.00 for the Superman Belt Buckle in antique silver finish offered in the DC Salutes the Bicentennial promotion!
            I’ve seen it more recently going for $40.00 or more nowadays. This was listed last week on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-S-Logo-1975-National-Periodical-Made-in-USA-Vintage-Belt-Buckle-as20-/281389078166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4184189696
            So here it is, along with 33 of its friends…

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

            By the way, of you are looking for the buckle on ebay you have to look long and hard. You have to go through a lot of belts and buckles with the Man of Steel or come kind of “S” on it until you reach THE buckle. In March there were 528 hits when you type in “Superman Belt Buckle” on ebay.
           
            My buckle has a little bit of rust on it and I had to polish it a bit. But I have it! It took 39 years to get it (and the comics), but, hey, I’m a collector! A obsessive/compulsive collector, true, but …

            And if there are any readers out there who actually collected and sent in the comics (I’ll bet Mike White and Fred Schneider did), I’d love to hear from you. Actually, if you enjoyed this series I’d like to hear from you regardless! If you didn’t enjoy it; why are you reading this? It’s my 36th blog on the subject for gods sake…
           
            And for a forehead slapping moment - dig this ad I found while reading The Witching Hour #75 from November 1977: 

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
            Do you see it? Middle left: there it is! They are selling the buckle! Along with a Batman and Wonder Woman buckle! All that scrambling around town looking for 25 bicentennial banners and I could have bought it for $3.35 (with shipping & handling) a year and half later!?
            Aargh!
            Thanks for reading through these blogs on the DC Salutes the Bicentennial comics over the past several months. I hope you enjoyed this trip back when comics were fun!
            There will be one more blog for all the number crunchers…


Original Material copyright 2015 Michael Curry

            Images used are copyright their respective holders and and reproduced here under the “fair Use” doctrine of 17 USC 106 & 106a for the purposes of criticism and comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment